Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

 
 
Hello everyone.  It is time for the March update.  It has been an interesting month. I have several items of news to report.  I list them here and then spend more time later giving more detail.  The idea is that you'll be able to skip over the few items that do not interest you:
  • My 20-year look-back is boring.  It seems like all I've done in the last 20 Marches is work and make job contacts.
  • My current contract won't be extended for the 5th time.
  • My new car got hit in the supermarket parking lot.
  • I've made up my mind to get my knees replaced. 
  • I reached the first week of my Weight Watchers goal.

I looked at my day-timer appointment logs for March for the last twenty years.  There are many entries I don't remember; There are some that I do remember.  Two things are clear about these log entries.  First, the up side -- I spent an extra-ordinary amount of time cultivating employment connections, which explains why I was rarely out of work for any significant time, despite the ups and downs of the economy and unemployment numbers.

Second, the down side -- I didn't do a lot of other "stuff." 

So we kiss off 20 years of the month of March.  Here is my revision to the old saying about March March -In like a lamb, out like a lamb.


The second item, my current contract, had been extended 5 times.  It was awesome.  Got the hours I wanted, and within 1.5 miles of my home.  I actually rode my scooter to work.  I guess all good things must come to an end, and thus, my project.   There is an excellent chance I'll get renewed in late Autumn if I'm available.  For now, I am reconnecting with all the employment connections I've made over the years.  What's interesting is that I don't want full-time.  Contracting is my preference and there are many opportunities out there. And I get the time to update my blogs, stories, etc.  Stay tuned...


Last week my new hybrid car got hit in the rear bumper.  It was an SUV with a trailer hitch.  It damaged my bumper but his vehicle had no damage.  Listen to this -- I had partly backed out of my spot when I saw him backing out.  I stopped and hit the horn.  He just kept on coming --Bam! We called the police and he told them, "I put on my seat belt, looked both ways, then backed out."  He may have looked both ways, but he certainly confirmed that he didn't look in the direction he was going -- Backwards!


My knees (Yes, both of them) are in terrible shape -- Bone on bone.  When I wear a brace there isn't much pain, but when I take the brace off, pain, and problems walking.  Oh!  Did I mention that I live in a 3-story townhouse?  My appointment with the orthopedic surgeon is April 17.  I'll know more then.


Finally, after a long struggle with the last couple of pounds, I hit my goal weight at Weight Watchers.  If I can stay in goal for 6 weeks, I become a lifetime member, which means I can attend meeting and weighings, but not pay.  Six weeks to go, and counting!

So all, Goodbye March, and Hello April!

No comments:

Post a Comment