Sunday, March 10, 2013

Chapter 4

What's New



This section is reserved for Fyllis to add her story. I don't like to add anything about anyone without their prior approval. I know I have my story about Fyllis. I will let Fyllis make her own introduction.
Reserved for Fyllis
  

Hello all and welcome to my first blog entry of 2013.  It was an interesting day, today.  I had my tri-annual colonoscopy.  There are 2 phases to a colonoscopy: the bad part and the good part.  They are probably not what you think. 
  • The bad part is the preparation -- effectively cleaning yourself out.  It takes place the day before.  No eating, lots of laxatives, and make sure you're within 20 feet of an available toilet at all times.
  • The good part is when you get to the hospital and they give you the anesthesia.  Best sleep in years!  Wake up refreshed.
 
 
Here are the rules to follow:

  • Family history of Colon Cancer?  Get a colonoscopy every 3 years
  • Personal history of colon polyps?  Get a colonoscopy every 5 years
In any case, it sounds worse than it is, and it is one cancer that is almost 100% preventable.
 
 
Now, as promised before, here is a summary of 20 years of my February History.  I am only going to present the interesting parts:
  • February, 1993 -- Totally blank
  • February, 1995 -- Took the LSAT and drove to Gainesville
  • February, 2001 -- Travelled between Dallas and Michigan on business contract
  • February, 2005 -- Completed the music for our ("our" in this case means my friend Larry and me)  play, State U, and submitted it to the New York Fringe Festival.  I will soon publish it in my Log Lines blog
  • February, 2008 -- Submitted, to the New York Fringe Festival, the rewrite of State U, including all new music, and started working on our ("our" in this case means my father's side of my family) genealogy
All the other years, I was just working and making business contacts --Boring. 
 

I must relate this story -- It may give you goose bumps...

Whenever I am in the Philadelphia area, I go the cemetery where my parents are buried.  Those of us of the Hebraic persuasion are urged to do this as an annual rite.  Since I live far away, I do it whenever I get to the Philly area.  Anyhow, this visit was unusually satisfying, oddly eerie, and if I had one word to describe it, I would use the word "supernatural."  Here are the details:
  1.  As I had in previous visits, I approached the gravestone of my father to tell him what was new and exciting in my life.  I expressed my love for him, and how much I still miss him.
  2. I then stepped to the adjacent grave of my mother and started to repeat the news I had just given to my father.  Then oddly, eerily, a comfortable feeling of calm and peace descended upon me like a cloak of peace.  Strange, I thought; unlike any of my previous visits to the cemetery.  The moment passed, but the feelings have lingered like the scent of a memory long gone, but not forgotten.  I relish in memory of the moment.  
  3. At about that same time, I took pictures of their headstones to add to my genealogy database.  I used my iPhone camera then left the cemetery.
  4. Later that day, my younger daughter looked at the pictures.  Guess what she saw?  I looked!  My whole family checked the pictures again.  We all saw it:  the faces of my Mother and Father on the headstone!!
I won't publish the photo for fear of those who may claim it's the countenance of the Virgin Mary.  I doubt it!  I'm Jewish!  In any case, I do have the picture; it's been witnessed by several family members; all agree about the resemblance to my parents.  I've added the picture to my autobiography. 

Here are a couple of final notes for this edition of My Story:
  • My knees are in very bad shape -- Bone-on-bone.  I am getting to be a cripple ("mobility challenged" in PC terminology).  My appointment for knee replacement is in April.  I understand that they give some strong pain medication post-surgery.  Yes!!
  • I went to an Andre Rieu concert last night.  Two words AWESOME!
  • Stay tuned for updates to my stories in Log Lines, and feel free to contribute.
Bye for February!



No comments:

Post a Comment