Saturday, January 5, 2013

Chapter 2

Here it is, one month to the day, for making my second blog post.  I've been thinking about how to organize the blog.  At least initially, I will have at least two sections for each post, and possibly three:
  1. What's New -- A log of my experiences since the previous entry, and
  2. My Story -- A paraphrased portion of my autobiography
  3. Log Lines -- Story ideas about which I may be writing.  Your suggestions are welcome and helpful.
The second item needs some explanation.  After Bill Clinton left office, he began his own autobiography.  In an interview, when asked why he was doing it, he responded that everyone should do it, for their children, for their grandchildren, and for posterity.  It made sense to me.  So I began own My Story.  Each blog posting will have a section paraphrased from it.
 
 
What's New
 
This month has had its ups and downs.  As they say, "I've got good news and I've got bad news."  I'll start with the bad news.
 
This month, we learned that my younger daughter's father-in-law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer -- A vicious, nasty type of cancer that ravages its victims is extremely short time.  And it is almost always fatal.  In about 1.5 weeks, he went from apparently OK to pneumonia, confusion, and breathing difficulty.  I feel bad for Jon (my son-in-law) who is very close to his father. I am helpless.  (I know about these things; I went through something very similar with my own father.)  The only advice I can offer is: 1) let nothing be unsaid between father and son: feelings of love, closeness, happy times, sadness, all of it.  Say it now because you won't be able to say it later;   2) attend to the business issues, bank accounts, passwords, wills, etc.  It may sound ghoulish, but it must be done.

Now, it's just waiting........  I am so helpless.  So much I would like to do; so little I can do.

Update --> Today is December 29, 2012.  More bad news. The pancreatic cancer finally won.  My daughter's father-in-law passed away this morning -- Twenty-three days from diagnosis to death! Time heals all wounds.  Both of my daughters and I have been fortunate to have excellent relations with all the in-laws. It is rare to have good relations with one set of in-laws -- but to have excellent relations with all in-laws -- extremely rare! Awesome! Kudos to you!  And it is important during these emotional events.
 
In contrast to the bad news, there was some good news.  I was on an 8-day cruise to the Southern Caribbean.  Ports of call were Curacao and Aruba.  Aruba wasn't too exciting, but Curacao was very quaint.  In fact, it closely resembled Amsterdam in the Netherlands.  But Duh... Curacao is part of the Dutch West Indies.

 
My Story
 
For my first entry from My Story, I want you all to know that I have come to believe in reincarnation from the Latin word, caro or carnis; meat. (Do Jews believe in reincarnation?  I don't know.  Is kosher involved in any way?  Can a non-Jew reincarnate as a Jew?  So many questions, so few answers!  But, no matter, I digress.)   I didn't come to the reincarnaton conclusion easily, but I can find no other explanation.  Here's the story; you decide.
 
 






The time is Summer, 1940, in London.  The Battle of Britain is in full rage. To refresh your knowledge of history, the Battle of Britain was the fire-bombing of London by the Nazis in the early days of World War II. 
It is nighttime.  Two of us are running for the London Underground used by Londoners to escape the nightly bombings.  The girl in front of me is wearing a wide paisley dress (petticoats?) and I am behind her.  I am looking down as I run; I see my pin striped suit with cuffs and wing tip shoes.  We are running; then there is nothingness!

... Fast forward 30 years ...
 





It is the early 1970s.  I am on my first trip to Europe.  I want to emphasize "first:"  First time in Europe, first time in England, first time in London.  I was walking for over an hour through several neighborhoods in London.  I turned a corner and was suddenly overcome with an intense feeling of "coming home."  If you've ever lost anything that you loved, and found it years later, you'll know exactly what I mean. That was the feeling.  I looked around, and within a block was an entrance to the London Underground. The homes on the street were relatively new, having been rebuilt after their destruction during the Battle of Britain.

That is my story.  You can draw whatever conclusions you like.  One other thing: I have viewed uncountable WWII movies and documentaries.  I have yet to find that scene in any of them.
 
Log Lines
 
Here is a story idea I had.  Check out Guilt in my log lines blog.  The log line is:
 
A widower with no children squanders an opportunity to be the father he always wanted to be.
 
Feel free to comment, suggest, or update as you like.  Be sure to enclose your pen name.  If it ever gets published, your nom de plume will be included.


3 comments:

  1. Yeah! You got the Comments open. Now to get some photos on your blog.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuart,

    You should have the title of your blog at the top. Just a friendly suggestion from and OLD FRIEND. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuart,

    I too believe in reincarnation The term you use "ever have the feeling of 'coming home". That was exactly the feeling I had the very first time I visited Cape Cod in 1974. I had never been there before but the first time I visited I had that "coming home" feeling. It is an eerie feeling isn't it? I have always been drawn to the ocean. That's why I feel I must have been some sort of seafaring person in on of my past lives.

    I'm sorry to hear about the death of you daughter's father-in-law. I know how quickly that illness can take one. I used to work with a guy, Bill Becker by name, who one weekend couldn't keep his food down. He went to the doctor the following Monday. The doctor told him that he had pancreatic cancer and to "get his affairs in order." I remember when Bill came back to work to clean out his desk. I didn't know he had gotten this diagnosis and was teasing him about using his computer while he was out. Rather than react in the mock outrage he usually did when I teased him on this matter (you know me, always pushing someone's buttons) he just turned around and said "Oh." After he packed up his things in boxes and left I asked our boss "What's with Bill?" He told me that he was informed by his doctor that he had six months to live. He was dead in four months. He was only 42 years old. Life is fragile. Make the most of it while you're here.

    ReplyDelete